The Ottumwa Yard of the Month program recognizes the efforts - both homeowners and tenants - that demonstrate a clear and consistent desire to maintain or improve their properties and whose efforts are a model and inspiration for the neighborhood or others to follow. Winners receive a special sign to place in their front yard presented by the Mayor, Chamber Director or representative, a certificate of recognition signed by the Mayor and Chamber Director, and several gifts donated by local merchants. The program runs each year from May to September.
Ottumwa "Yard of the Month" program is administered for the months of May through September. All nominations must be received in the Chamber of Commerce Office by the 25th of the prior month.
Submitting nominations. Anyone may submit a nomination form to the Chamber office. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply drop the nomination information off at the Chamber Office Monday - Friday 9AM to 4PM. When submitting a nomination provide the following information; Address, name and contact information of property nominated with a brief sentence or two why the nominee should be selected as Yard of the Month. Nominations must also have name and contact information of person(s) nominating. Yards may win the award only once per calendar year.
The overall goal of the Yards of the Month Award Program is to recognize individuals whose property exemplifies and promotes beautification and pride as an example for the Ottumwa community.
We envision a clean and beautiful city where all citizens value and protect natural resources and take responsibility for enhancing their community environment.
Winning Yard of the Month Criteria
For the "Yard of the Month" Award, certain criteria will be considered by the selection committee.
The Yard of the Month Awards selection committee will select up to two yards from nominations received from within the city boundaries that are chosen as representative of attractive, well-maintained residential properties in Ottumwa. The selection committee will consist of a Chamber representative and city representative.
- Landscapes are required to be:
- Well groomed (properties can have a natural, wildscape appearance, but grass must be mowed, and the perimeter of the property must be edged).
- Attractive & pleasing to the eye (eg. green lawn; a variety of plants such as trees, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, wildflowers; plants with a variety of heights, textures, and colors; landscape features such as fountains, large rocks in beds, etc.)
- Buildings, fences, porches, patios and other structures on the property are required to be in good repair, i.e. minimal distraction from the landscape due to deterioration, damage or construction.
- Extra consideration may given to properties that have invested extra effort through the use of attractive art pieces such as pottery, ironwork, potted plants, birdhouses, patio or lawn furniture, windsocks, decorative mailboxes, etc.
- All selected properties must be free of litter, junk and debris.
- All selected properties must be free of junked or inoperable vehicles.
- All selected properties must have no parking on the lawn.
This program will be administered by the Ottumwa Area Chamber of Commerce and in partnership with the City of Ottumwa.